As usual, that was about as much fun as you can stand. But that’s not too surprising because, to paraphrase a line from some of our swimming buddies in Ireland, “If it ain’t fun, we’re not playing!”
So for the third year in a row we held a beer mile that pitted the runners and against the swimmers… and for the third time in a row… the swimmers crushed them!
In fairness, there are a lot of LOSTies who are very good runners and triathletes… and there are a bunch of LOSTies who are also CR’s… and a bunch of CR’s who we’ve converted to LOSTies… but still, it’s fun to poke a little fun at the light-weight runners!
And to add a bit of “authentic flair” to the swimming side a few of us were even downing the beer that Marilyn Bell Di Lascio gave us as a very “thoughtful” gift when she came out with us on her recent visit!
Also as a good measure of the level of frivolity of the event, a big tip of the hat to some of the great costumes: Ted Hewitt (CR), as usual had a great one: some kinda David Lee Roth/Rod Stewart-type get up! Russell Thacker (CR), every great Star Wars nerd! Alex McMillin (LOSTie) and hula-girl! Craig Ross (LOSTie) and Hooters Girl!
Some interesting fact from this year that Mauro came up with:
- Our largest race so far (24 starters)
- Fastest race so far (avg time of 9:55, versus last year’s 10:34)
- 5 PB’s this year: Al Wiggins, Mark Luxton (and even drank 4 Tallboys!!!), Dylan Kent, Shawn MacLean and Mauro Campanelli
- 7 participants that have attended all 3 annual events
- 15 first timers !! (including our first Olympian… Luis Escobar… for swimming, the Beer Mile isn’t an Olympic event… yet).
- Largest cheering crowd so far !!
- here are the results… and Al is putting the results up on the BeerMile.com site too!
- check out how close some of those times were: 3rd & 4th were 5 seconds apart… 5th & 6th were 2 seconds apart… 7th to 12th were all within 24 seconds! We have some racers, even in the Beer Mile!
Well done, one and all! Thanks for coming out to run and drink and cheer and celebrate after the race with a couple cold ones at the King’s Arms!
You guys are awesome. Remember… it’s never to early to start training for next year!
PS. We tend to keep this race discreet beforehand for obvious reasons, but if you’d like to be notified for next year’s race, drop me an email and I’ll add you to the email list.
Next stop: LOST Polar Bear Dip… Jan 1 at noon… and then 100 x 100 on 100, Jan 2!